We in the sustainability industry work hard to protect and enhance our environment. So, it’s important that we take time to enjoy some of that beauty. Winterlude, Ottawa’s winter festival running February 3-20, 2017, is a great opportunity to do just that. This year we’re also celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday. Here’s what you can experience:
1. The Rideau Canal Skateway is over 7 km long, and so big that 3 plows can work in tandem and nobody gets off the ice! Great musicians entertain you at stops along the way. This is a UNESCO world heritage site everyone should experience.
2. The National Capital Greenbelt is 20,000 hectares, larger than many cities, and is perfect for winter walks, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing. Also within a 20 minutes drive of downtown is the 36k ha. Gatineau Park, where downhill skiing and the Spa Nordik can be added to the list of winter fun and relaxing activities.
3. Ottawa is also home of a tasty treat called Beavertails. At the risk of giving away national secrets, this is the reason we have some of the best hockey players in the world–we start them young and we feed them Beavertails. (No beavers are harmed in the production or eating of these pastries!)
4. An outdoor ice sculpture gallery shows off the works of the worlds best sculptures. It looks fabulous day and night!
5. And, if you time it right, you can watch our inaugural Ice Dragon Boat Festival. We’re big on dragon boat racing during the summer, and have partnered with the International Ice Dragon Boat Federation (IIDBF) to make this winter version fantastic.
There’s a light snow falling, and the air is crisp. Get outdoors and enjoy the environment we work so hard to protect. Ottawa is a great city, and Winterlude is lots of fun. Come for a visit…you deserve it!